Friday, February 27, 2009

Cake is Back in My Life

Last night was the annual Blue and Gold Banquet for the Cub Scouts. This is the second year that Kimball and our family have been invited to participate. One of the activities is a father-son cake making/decorating contest. Last year, Jared & Kimball did this, so they had a reputation to uphold this time around.

The theme this year was America the Beautiful. They toyed with doing another Star Wars themed cake anyway, then talked about crazy ideas including Mt. Rushmore, the Washington Monument, and the Lincoln Memorial. Finally, they went a different direction: an Indain wigwam.

Kimball helped bake the cakes (at the neighbors, as our oven is still dead,) color the fondant, roll out the fondant, and all by himself he painted the designs on the wigwam, made a Native American out of fondant, and made a woodpile and a fire pit out of fondant, chocolate sticks, and a Thin Mint cookie. I was proud of him--he's such a little artist.

Here's some footage of the construction.



Now, if I can just stop myself from eating the remaining half!

Coming later today: my interview with Tamara. We had a great time gabbing away, and I think you'll be pleased to learn more about her. So check back in.

10 comments:

Stacy said...

Wow, those are impressive cakes! Did he win the contest?

Unknown said...

amazing cakes! i wish i had a little talent in that department!

Tamara said...

i LOVE THE CAKE!

i feel so bad for the lil' red, white, and blue cupcakes in the background with flags on them. :(

Suldog said...

Really cool cake! Wish I had some right now, though (insert tummy rumble sound here.)

Scrappy said...

Has it really been a year since the last one?
It looks great! Good job, Kimball and Jared!!!

Becky said...

Great job Kimball! You are so creative!

Jaye said...

That cake is so cute!

I am SO not ready for these blue-gold-scout things... help!

Congrats on baby girl #2!

Marybeth said...

LOVE the cake!!! We need to incorporate this idea into our Cub Scout program. Oh Michal, my oven went out on Christmas Eve. Last week we finally received the part to repair it. I just couldn't bring myself to use my crock pot any more. We found a great place to get appliance parts for a reasonable price. We had to shop around but found a place on-line. I'm thrilled for Bronwen and the rest of your family that you're having a girl. Marisa wanted a sister terribly, but fortunately she has lots of girl cousins.

Macy said...

Such an amazing cake. I wouldn't have the slightest idea where to start building something like that. Looking forward to your interview!

Ice Cream said...

Niiiice. I may have to steal this idea. I love the pretzel poles!