Sunday, February 22, 2009

What's in a Name?

Ever since we told the kids on Christmas Eve that there was a new baby coming to our family this summer, they have been on a naming frenzy. Along with all their excitement about leaving out cookies for Santa and carrots for the reindeer, they were busy thinking up monikers like, "Obi Wan Kenobi (last name)" and "Buttercup (last name)".

Fifty percent of this fun will come to an end on Tuesday when we have our 2nd ultrasound (at which this child WILL cooperate) and find out whether we need to focus on the Obi Wan or the Buttercup list from here on out.

If we were the type of parents (whom I've never understood, being a control freak,) who let their children choose the baby's name, these are the names that would be under serious consideration at this point:

For a boy
  • Obi Wan Kenobi
  • Westley (as in the Dread Pirate Roberts)
  • Jaylen
  • George Lucas
  • Luke
  • Fezzik
  • Inigo Montoya
  • Darth Vader
  • Peter
  • Lando
  • Julius (as in Caesar)
  • Augustus
  • Sargon
  • Odysseus
  • Socrates
For a girl
  • Buttercup
  • Eerin
  • Ruby (especially if she has a twin brother named Max)
  • July
  • Leia
  • Persephone
  • Princess
  • Susan
  • Lucy
  • Beezus
  • Ramona
  • Asouka
There is at least one name on each list that Jared & I would consider, but I'm not sure if I want to share our list here. I don't know yet if I want your feedback or not because I would feel sad if everyone hated my favorite names, and if everyone loved them, I'd be afraid that they were too popular. I'm crazy like that. But I will take any suggestions you might have!

Ian is hoping for a baby brother, Henry wants another sister. Kimball says that he's torn because he'd love having another sister but he likes the boy names better. Bronwen doesn't get it and just loves shoving her baby doll under my shirt or her shirt, depending on the moment. But regardless of who wants what, this baby is coming in four more months and changing everything again for us!

(And by the way, it looks like most of you voted for me to stick with the photo of me kissing Bronwen for my header. I'm not ready to commit yet--maybe there's another photo somewhere in my files that's better. You'll know when I decide because the new layout will appear.)

If you were naming a baby this summer, what would its name be? Don't share if you don't want us to steal it, though.

20 comments:

Prudy said...

We love our little Westley over here. Although, he would have made a very respectable obi wan kenobi also. You have such great names for your kids-can't wait to see what you pick next. Will it be blue, will it be pink? Can't wait to find out.

Scrappy said...

Oh, the baby name game. I do not love naming a baby. It is so stressfull.
The last time I thought about baby names was when my little sister was having a baby and a couple I liked then were Camden and Clinton. She ended up with Spencer.
If Ned had been a girl the name would have been Emma (way too popular now)and Dusty would have been Kathrine. With Lucky I just didn't even think about names until I found out I was having a boy.
I am not neccisarily suggesting these, just spouting off the names. I will have to think of some of the names I have heard lately and give you a list later.
I can't wait to hear if this one is a boy or a girl. Do you have a feeling one way or the other?

mahina said...

those are some great names! i can tell which movies are popular in your home! haha! love it!

good luck on the name! as you know we have a haard time naming our children so i don't think we would be much help!

Super Kimmie said...

Well - I always wanted to name a girl after my mom - Margaret - and call her Maggie or Meg. Love both of those. I also love Kate and Ruby for a girl. Hmm - boys names - I like Heber or Hyrum or Brigham.

Kim

Michal said...

scrappy--no feelings/vibes that you could call intuition. if i got to pick, i'd choose to have a sister for bronwen, as i think all girls should have a sister. with that being said, i will love and adore a little obi wan as well, of course. alli hopes that i have a girl because she has all my boy clothes and another boy on the way!

grammy-- i will say that margaret is on the grown-up list as a first or middle name. i've always loved it, too, and i love the idea of giving a daughter my grandma's name.

April said...

I love Ruby and Lucy for a girl!

I'm so curious what you're having. I think it would be so fun if you were the only one out of all of us having a girl.

Boy names are much harder for me. We've stuck with Trevor which is Ber's doing and he won't budge. We're considering spelling it Treavor so we could possibly nickname him Trea but I don't like wierd spellings so that's a big maybe. I would choose Elliott or Quinton (there would be a lot of Quinton's in the ward!)

Whatever you choose, it will be classy because all of your kids have classy names!

Stacy said...

I like Evelyn, Eleyna, and Eli. Ha ha. But the name I really love is Adeline. Too bad she'd never fit in with our kids.

Becky said...

Ah, baby names are so touchy! Now that I'm out of the baby naming game myself I don't know what is really trendy these days besides Ava. I'll throw Griffin out there. I always loved the name Finn. There's a Sterling in our ward, and my friend's toddler's name is Violet.
Good luck and I can't wait to hear the news on Tues!

Lei said...

I kinda want another little boy... but I know we are done. However - the name I would use is Hayden. Not sure on middle name , perhaps Avery.

Ice Cream said...

You are smart not to share your name list. I made the mistake of running our last boy name by my family and everyone hated it so we didn't use it. But then my brothers have babies and named their sons after movie characters and cartoons. Our name was an old family name on my husband's side. Fountain.

Tamara said...

margaret!!!
:)

Life At MandyLand said...

Let me guess Luke or Lucy... What ever you pick I will go along. The thing is even if you might not like the name it uasally grows on you. And it's your baby name them what you want..

Anonymous said...

I love Margaret and Katharine--both are already taken among my nieces, so you can steal them. And, of course, we have our own Elizabeth and Caroline. Obviously I go for the traditional names for girls. And I have no clue on boy names.

--Christine M

Hansen Family said...

My little girl, Anja, was so determined that our baby's name was going to be Max (because she loved Max and Ruby). Fortunately she was ok with Christian!

Nana said...

I like Margaret, and I don't know why it has to have a nickname - none of your other children go by shortened names. Is one more syllable so hard to say?
Notice, I am not thinking about boy names yet.

Kim said...

We no longer need our girl name, Haley Grace. : ) Our other faves have been Gracie and Brianna (with the 'aw' sound not the 'ann' sound).

I just don't think you're going to need a boy name since she is so obviously a modest little girl who is already showing you who's in charge. But just in case I will let you know that we've settled on either Drew or Jacob. Brad is set on Andrew (Drew) and is already calling our baby by name. But I have gotten him to agree to wait until we see this little cutie to make the final call. Both these names are way too common for you guys anyway I'm sure.

I was just talking to Megan the other day and she was saying its nice to be the first of the "boy wave" in the ward 'cause she gets first pick and doesn't have to worry about duplicating names. :)
I think she mentioned Blake and Joshua.

I'm sure you will find the perfect name. They can't stay nameless forever. Good luck tomorrow!

J and M said...

For what it is worth......in the Jon and Marni yarrington contingent.......I can't share my names for similar reasons. I get nervous that if I tell a name I like, the grandparents will start calling a future baby by such name and then I won't like it anymore.....or someone will not like it, like it too much, etc. etc. etc.

Congrats to you, however!

Sonja said...

We really struggle with baby names. Perhaps it's my indecisive nature. Luckily, my husband and I like the same types of names.

But BOY! That's quite a list you've got going on there. :) I'm so excited for you. There is nothing like the wonder of building a family. I'm sure you'll pick a great name! You've been successful 4 other times already! :)

mindyluwho said...

I've always wanted to name a baby Grace Evelyn and call her Gracie. My favorite great-grandmas were Evelyn and Grace. Old fashioned, but that's what all my kids names are! My husband never would go for it though.

Tamlynn said...

I swear I just left a comment, but now I can't find it, so sorry if you get this twice. Anyway, congrats on a baby girl! The name that popped into my head when I read your other kids' names is Imogene.