Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A New Addition

We added to our household today. Henry's birthday was three weeks ago, and his present was a bearded dragon (lizardy reptile--see what a good mom I am?), which he did not receive on his birthday. You see, we had the best of intentions, but when we figured out how much the habitats for those darn things cost, with UV lights, warming lamps, heated rocks, special sand, etc, etc -- we decided to wait and get the iguana habitat that Nana had brilliantly stored after my brother, Stu's, iguana found a new home years ago. Luckily, Alli and Flint had a trip planned to visit Nana the weekend after Henry's birthday. We convinced him that it was worth the wait--only a couple of days, really.

When they got back from Southern Cal, it took us a few days to get the habitat from them. Then we waited until Jared's day off when he could take Henry over to pick up his new pet. But when we called Friday morning, the pet store had sold our bearded dragon to another family! Like any good parents would do, we put off telling Henry until he asked about it, then broke the news for him that the pet shop was looking for another lizard for him.

Well, another week went by and the pet shop owner didn't come up with anything. We checked the local PetSmart, but they had nothing. We started checking craigslist, but everyone wanted more than we wanted to pay because they wanted to sell their bearded dragons WITH a habitat.

Finally, today, one showed up on craigslist that was in our price range. We called and asked all the important questions, then drove about 45 minutes away to pick it up. The owner was very sweet and spent about 15 minutes with Henry, helping him to get comfortable with the little guy and teaching us about feeding him and caring for him.

We brought the poor, dazed guy home. He is mostly hanging out in the corner of his habitat, wondering about the change of scenery and all the noise in this new house! Henry named him Drazil, Lizard of all Dragons, but will call him Drazil for short. (The previous owners named him Stuie, but as we have an uncle with that name, it wouldn't do.) The above photo is taken from the internet--I didn't want to traumatize Drazil anymore today.

Oh, and the other addition to our family? We did have an ultrasound this afternoon after picking up Drazil. The baby cooperated this time and . . . .


it's a girl! We are so happy for Bronwen to get a sister. And I'm thrilled to use my girl clothes again! Now to work on the name . . .

28 comments:

Erika said...

hip hip hurray
I think your "bronwen gets a sister" line should be more like "I get another DAUGHTER to cook with, shop with, talk with, laugh with, love, and dress"
:-)

Ashley said...

Yeah! I am excited for you. Love those pink shoes-- Calli wore the same ones when she was little. I just wrote a girl name suggestion for you into my newest post. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Yeah!!!! You couldn't have planned it more perfectly. Congratulations! Alli will be thrilled to be able to keep the boy clothes. : )

Stephanie said...

Okay, I'm supposed to be taking a break from blogs while I write talks for EFY, but YAY!, what great news for you. Congrats.

Scrappy said...

It's a good thing you are having a girl because Henry just stole the name Drazil right from under you didn't he? ;)
Congrats to all of you!

Nicolette said...

how do you do it? Congrats on the girl!

A mother heart said...

Yeah for your newest addition(s)! I'm thinking that the baby girl will be a just a tad cuter than the lizard, and will have a sweeter name. But I have to say I love the dragon's name. Your kids are nothing if not imaginative. I hope Henry's new friend lives up to his moniker and is truly the Lizard of all Dragons!

Prudy said...

Congrats about the dragon but he is already overshadowed! A girl! Hip Hip Hooray! More pink in the T household. Can't wait to hear your names!

Sea Star said...

Bearded Dragons are supposed to be the best type of lizard to get if you want a reptile. I guess they aren't supposed to get as big as other lizards. Drazil is a great name for him!

Congratulations on the girl. I used to think names for girls were easier but I don't really know what we are going to do. Nothing we hear strikes us as something we would even consider. Good thing we have a few more months to think about it.

Life At MandyLand said...

All your new additions I can't keep up. Yeah for another girl i know how badly you wanted Brownwen to have a sister. Congrats to you and Henry...(your a better mom than me I won't let the boys get one)

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!! This will really be interesting. We have never had two girls in the same family before and now you and Angela both will have second daughters. How does that work???

I will keep mum on the name game. I really didn't like Henry and now it's a favorite. So whatever her name is will become a favorite with me.

MyrnaMom

April said...

YAY! How exciting! I can't believe that out of the 8 something of us that are preggers, you got the only girl! I think for the most part, we all got what we wanted this time around :)

Suldog said...

Fascinating. I've never seen the delight of keeping a reptile as a pet, but to each his/her own. Good luck to Drazil!

Allison said...

Yea!! For little girls, and yea for sisters! Yea for me being able to keep all of your little boy clothes and not needing to buy a new wardrobe for my second boy! (That is, of course, until he gets to be about Ian's age and all the little boy clothes and ripped and stained like they should be at that age.)

Michal said...

suldog,
neither have i. if you could see me now, you'd see "sucker" or "softie" written across my forehead. i don't get the reptile thing, but i'm glad that it's not an animal that will shed everywhere, pee on the carpet, or tear up the furniture. and i'm glad it's not a snake, which is what my husband wanted. :)

Hansen Family said...

Congratulations on another girl! Girls are just so much fun and now you get to experience it all over again!

thatredhairedgirl said...

Congrats on the girl and yuckie on the lizard thingy! They smell so gross :)

Well, we like Eerin. Eerin Elisabeth or Eerin Grace or even Eerin Margaret which does sound an awful lot like a Catholic School Girl name:)

We have a few others for you if you would like us to share:)

Michal said...

ltsunshine,

bronwen's middle name is elisabeth (after my first name.) if we'd known we would have two girls, we might have saved it--i always thought that bronwen and betsy would be cute sister names. but we didn't know we'd have another girl.

we can't name a girl erin because that is jared's grandpa's name--spelled like a girl's. he would love a boy named after him, but not a girl, i'm afraid!

how is your move coming? i need to email you and see how i can help. lots of love to your family.

An Ordinary Mom said...

Congrats! How fun to have another girl! My daughter desperately wants a little sister ... she adores her little brothers, but her heart longs :) !!

Kim said...

I knew she was a girl! Yay for sisters and precious daughters.

Oh, and welcome to the land of pets. I personally prefer the furry variety (obviously) but good for you for not letting the green scalies get in the way of your boy's dream.

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Exciting that you are having a new girl. We're sort of partial to them around here. My new favorite name these days is Eleanor or Ellanor, Ella for short. That's my $.02, not that it's worth much.

Christine said...

yeahhhh for sisters!!! Congrats on the whole dragon thing! I talked with Elizabeth, and have arranged for "bunny sitting." We can take the bunnies home for a few hours, brush them, love them, feed them and return them. I hope this will keep me from having to take the plunge like you had to :) Especially since my girls would insist on something with fur.

mindyluwho said...

Hi Michal!

You are so brave getting a lizard like that. Hamsters are about as far as we've gotten for exoctic pets!

And...I'm so excited about your new baby girl!

nickandstaci said...

I am so happy for you guys! Another little girl! yay!

Super Kimmie said...

Wahoo! Another cute girl for you family. I'm so excited for you (of course I would have been excited for another cute boy too)

Yvonne said...

Yeah.. another girl... fun for you! I think I know which name you like on the list... enjoy this special time with your bump! Blessings!

Ice Cream said...

I can't believe you named him drazil. Did you know that I have been dreaming of opening an Etsy shop and naming it Drazil? Seriously.

On a less selfish note, CONGRATS!!!!

thatredhairedgirl said...

OK so I will try again! I like the name Louisa May (Alcott). I love her writings and her love for her family!

Thats my thought for the night!