Monday, June 1, 2009

30 Days


Today is June 1st. On the last day of this month (unless she is a plan-spoiler like her older sister,) our new daughter will be born. Of course we look forward to that day with excitement and joy, but I will confess that I always also dread labor day--or at least the six weeks that follow. The last 30 days sends me into a frenzy of to do lists and anxiety.

You see, as much as I adore having a new baby, as much as I weep at the miracle of each new birth, as much as I treasure holding that special little child in my arms, I am a wreck after I have a baby. I am not one of those girls who bounces back, showing up at parties in cute clothes when the baby is a week old. Oh, no. When I have a baby, I lock myself in the house, avoiding contact with everyone except my mother, whom I cling to pathetically, and anyone who brings by a meal. I don't get any projects done for a LONG, LONG time, and don't want my picture taken for a year.

So, knowing that I'll accomplish absolutely nothing except for keeping my children alive in the weeks following her birth, my last 30 days are for scurrying around, trying to cram in everything that I won't get to later. Here's my list:

  • Get the girls' closet organized, with a wire organizer and cubbies added for new baby's clothes, blankets, burpcloths, etc.
  • Buy the fabric for the new bedskirt and cribskirt (anyone have a Joann's coupon sitting around?)
  • Dig out the newborn baby clothes from the garage (which are hiding behind a barricade of my mom's stuff); determine which, if any, can be used for a summer baby. Wash them.
  • Take a weekend getaway with my husband. Sleep in. Read a lot. Pay attention to him. Eat out. (scheduled)
  • Look for acts of service to perform every or most days for other people.
  • Go to the temple two more times. (scheduled)
  • Take the kids swimming as much as possible.
  • Win free ice cream for a year.
  • Have at least two playdates for my kids every week in June at my house.
  • Get my ironing pile down to nothing or at least down to the week's Sunday clothes.
  • Take my boys to art camp, twilight camp, and swim lessons (scheduled).
  • Help my sister with her new baby, coming soon . . .
  • Help my mom get settled into her new house, coming soon . . .
  • Read the new writing curriculum I bought for next year.
  • Research and order a science and Latin curriculum for next year.
  • Visit the new homeopathic/holistic pediatrician and make sure he's the right fit for us.
  • Post on my blog more often.
  • Plan and execute Sharing Time every Sunday in June.
  • Stop eating so many sweets--getting down to one a day would be a good start!
  • Drop off some stuff at D.I. and the recycling center.
  • Finish ancient India and China chapters in history.
  • Finish up math curriculum for the year (Henry has one more lesson, Kimball has five.)
  • Mail off a package to Scrappy that was mis-addressed at Christmas time and still sits in my bedroom.
  • Make more pickles (love this recipe from Prudence Pennywise).
  • Get a pedicure.
This list is sure to grow as quickly as I check things off, but I have learned (with one preemie and one baby who decided to be born 8 days before her scheduled c-section, baby shower, and my hair cut-and-color) that we will all survive if the list doesn't get completed. Still, I will be plugging away at it, come what may, for the NEXT 30 DAYS. And hopefully, when labor day comes, I'll be able to relax and enjoy it as much as my hormones will let me!



What are you doing in June?

16 comments:

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

That's quite a list! I hope you get it all done and baby decides to cooperate and come just on time. I love when they do that. (Actually, I guess I wouldn't know from my own experience on that one--I had one a week late and two a month early. But it sounds perfect and nice:) )

Tamlynn said...

well, to start with I'm going to make those blueberry muffins!

We are done with school, so I plan on a lot of relaxing with time out for swimming, finishing projects, and helping dh through his eye surgery.

Your list makes me tired!

Aly sun said...

I love that the nesting instinct enable us to accomplish amazing things before the birth of our children! Your list is very admirable! You can do it, and like you said, if you don't, the world won't come to a screeching halt. Good thing.

A mother heart said...

That's a huge list. I sincerely hope you can get it all done, but don't beat yourself up if you don't. Cooking another human being is a full time job in itself!

As someone who also has c-section babies, I completley understand the recovery period. It's just not fun. (And it is what is making me really hesitate having another one. I am not ready yet for another c-section.)

And in that light, you should really move pedicure to the top of the priorities. When you are icky post-partum and can't do much, at least you can look at your feet and feel pretty!

Scrappy said...

Michal, put my package up with the Christmas wrap and forget about again until this December! :)

I am the complete opposite of you. While those first few weeks after having a baby are pretty rough, I still am the one at a party a week later (not neccesarily in cute clothes) because I lock myself in the house for the entire (very ill) 9 months that I am pregnant. I went to a ward BBQ the night I brought Lucky home from the hospital because I was so happy that I was not sick anymore.

I hope everything goes well for you and Alli. I can't wait to hear the baby news!

Suldog said...

Well, good luck and God Bless! I'm playing softball in June, which hardly seems like something to mention in the same breath with giving birth :-)

Kim said...

Its so nice to know I am not the only one who's borderline OCD takes over in the last weeks of pregnancy. Well, actually for me it is usually the last months of pregnancy. Mine is much more than just a nesting instinct so I completely understand your list. I'm just impressed that you have so many goals that are actually important like temple attendance and focusing on your hubby. I should take a lesson, don't tell Brad.

Hopefully we can help with the swimming. You're welcome to play "beached whale" with me anytime. And I'm still going to whine about your probable delivery before mine. Maybe Drew will hear my complaints and feel a little competition. June 30 is the date to beat, ha!

Michal said...

aubrey, this list is not in priority order. you are right--a pedicure is at the top! when you're wearing nothing but a hospital gown and a catheter bag it is good to have pretty feet.:)

Molly said...

Wow. That makes me tired for you! I'm doing absolutely nothing this June and so far, it's fabulous!

Berrett Buzz said...

Well, now that I've read this, I've decided I should spend most of June praying for you. :)

Yvonne said...

WOW!!! That is some list! Good luck and enjoy! I will hold you in prayer for peace and love. Can't wait to see pics of this new gift!

Tamara said...

And what about celebrating your birthday Busy Bee?

Good luck with the long list!

Sara said...

I'm glad someone else feels the same way I did! I have a 3 week old right now (along with a 19-month-old), and, minus doctors appointments, we have not left the house. My mom is here every day and I couldn't make it without her! I, also, was frantic to get all kinds of projects done the month or two before my son was due, knowing that I would get nothing accomplished for quite some time after he was born. I have no idea how some women make the adjustment so easily and seem to just go right on with life again! Hope your baby takes her time and gives you the full 30 days to get your to-do list done!

Angela said...

This is so exciting- I wish I were you. I love babies, and having babies, and being around babies and getting organized!

Sonja said...

Holy buckets woman! You are incredible. Lists are wonderful things. It feels so good to check stuff off and have a hard copy of all you've accomplished.

You can do it!! And it will be worth it.

An Ordinary Mom said...

You, my friend, have quite an abundant amount of energy for your last few weeks of pregnancy. You go girl :) !!

And after I have kids, I, too, like to hide. My little guy is almost a year and my body still ain't back to "normal." :)

I like how you put pay attention to your husband on your date. It is so easy to get distracted when you have children and a gazillion things on your mind.

Enjoy your pedicure!