Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Must-Haves

In each of my pregnancies, there have been Must-Haves. When I was expecting Kimball, I wanted carne asada tacos and Jamba Juice. With Henry it was carne asada and ice cream. (I generally have a thing for red meat in pregnancy--it must be anemia!)

Poor Ian--as a third pregnancy, I can't remember what I wanted, except for sleep. It was neither as unforgettable as my first two experiences nor recent enough for me to recall. Stinks to be the middle child, doesn't it?

While I was pregnant with Bronwen, I couldn't eat enough mangoes. I bought them by the case at Costco and glowered at my children if they asked for one. They were mine, all mine!

With this baby, although I did go through a hamburgers stint, I have mostly been craving sugar and then chasing it down with Tums. Not since my first pregnancy have I consumed so many antacids. Actually, with babies 2-4 I was able to control most of my heartburn by getting regular adjustments from my darling chiropractor husband. But this time I'm either not getting in to see him often enough or my body is returning to it's old ways too quickly, for the respite from heartburn lasts only a day or so after an adjustment before I am back to popping my Tums. Or maybe it's because of all the sugar!

Here's what I'm having with my Tums today.

Click here for the recipe.

I'm looking forward to giving up my Tums addiction in 27 days, although by the time they starve me at the hospital for two days I'll probably embrace the idea of a little heartburn. Did you know that not only do you have to come in for a C-section fasting, but after that they only give you ice chips, then liquids, then garbage like jell-o???? And this to a woman whose milk supply is supposed to be coming in. I'll admit that last time I lied about my bodily functions a wee bit (since they use those as milestones to determine when you get real food.) A girl can only live on liquids for so long.

What can't you live without when you're pregnant?

17 comments:

Aly sun said...

I am a meat eater and can't have sugar while pregnant. My hubby raises beef cows, so we eat a lot of blessed beef. It is funny how our husband's occupations come in handy during our pregnancies, yours as a chiropractor. A beef raising chiropractor, now that is the dream.

Scrappy said...

Well, I have been craving sweets lately and I'm not even pregnant. Maybe I am replacing my habit of blogging with the habit of baking. Oh, dear. Not a good thing! :)

When I was pregnant with Ned I loved candy, sour candy. I always liked it alot, but I really don't love it anymore.

With Dusty it was stake burritos from places like Chipotle or Qdoba, but they made me sick with the other two pregnancies. Weird.

With Lucky it was Barq's root beer from Sonic. The taste made my tummy feel a little better and the caffeine (I know, I am terrible, it was survival) made my Zofran headaches go away.

Oh, dear. I need to stop talking about being pregnant. I may never have another baby if I think too much about that. *sigh*

Fun post!

Rebecca said...

So interesting to hear pregnancy cravings. : )

With my first 2 couldn't stand the sight of red meat, with this one a steak looks gross, but I am loving carne asada tacos!! Along with my other craving, limes (lots of lime juice on my tacos)! : )

Prudy said...

ICE. I chomped ice through an upstate NY winter. Even when we were out and about in the bitter cold I would have to bring my cup of ice. And with Sailor I had to have Dreyer's chocolate chip ice cream, but with West it was cauliflower with Tillamook cheddar cheese. And yes, I chased everything down with Tums.

Anonymous said...

The only one I recall is with Grant I ate more popcicles than is reasonalbe for any sane woman. But who says pregnancy is sane?

MyrnaMom

Unknown said...

I craved mangos with my second pregnancy also! FUNNY!
Good luck with the cravings. Nothing better than chocolate chip cookies and Tums!

Jeannetta said...

I love it "Here's what I'm having with my Tums today."
Very funny.
With one of mine, all I could keep down was "Better Cheddars" crackers and Coke.
Strange combination, and a wacky child developed!

A mother heart said...

Tums is my best friend while pregnant. With my last pregnancy, I suspected I was pregnant very, very early on because I suddenly was getting heartburn every night. It starts early and lasts until the day I deliver.

Kim said...

With Caity I could not do oranges or other citrus. And, although I don't eat them myself, I could not stand to even be around nacho cheese doritos.

With both Amber and this baby I cannot be near meat during the cooking phase and have trouble eating most red meats until about half way through the pregnancy.Its only been in the last couple weeks that steak has been palatable again.

All three pregnancies my cravings have been the same: eggs, eggs and more eggs, new fruits (including tomatoes which I could never eat before having children and fresh blueberries are a recent new menu addition) and of course sweets!!

Heartburn was much worse with my girls. This time the only thing that sends me after the Tums bottle is salsa.

Jenni said...

haha. that picture looks awfully familiar.. oh yes, i believe i had that with my tums and whipped cream yesterday.

and if you want, i will smuggle carne asada and other various solid foods to you in the hospital.

Keli and Mike said...

I can't believe you're so close to your due date, yay!! With Jamison I totally craved KFC. In fact Mike wanted to take me out to dinner for my birthday and that is where I chose to go. I could not even look at steak which was devastating for me cause I love it. It even took me six months after I had him to be able to eat it again. I also craved baked potatoes. I think I ate one every day for lunch for about a month straight!

Ashley said...

I never really had the cravings thing during pregnancy, but now that I am nursing again, I am eating pretty much anything in sight. Carbs and more carbs mostly. A liquid diet sounds dreadful to me right now. I don't know how you do it.

Sonja said...

Hooray for new babies! I can't believe how soon you'll get to meet her. :)

I always craved citrus fruits. (Must have need the extra vitamin C) With Sam it was also nectarines and my girls, watermelon.

Good luck these last few weeks! Man, I would hate to be starved in the hospital. I hope it goes by quickly! I hope you get a really awesome, wonderful, tums-free dinner when you come home. :)

Allison said...

This is defiantly my heartburn pregnancy. I get it when I eat the wrong foods (especially chocolate) and when I don't eat enough food. I get it when I lie down to go to bed at night, and when I wake up in the middle of the night for a potty break. I have needed to hake so many Tums that I even have a flavor preference. I much prefer the berry flavor to the tropical flavors.

mahina said...

tums were my best friend! those cookies look heavenly!

An Ordinary Mom said...

Fasting and pregnancy should not go together. Ever.

I am still craving sugar. Maybe it is a nursing thing, too ;) !!

Scrappy said...

I just had to come back and comment on this post again.
I did not know I was (and was not planning on being) pregnant when I made that comment about craving sweets. :) Funny.

If I had planned on telling you guys yet I would have told you on the phone the other day. I am kind of bummed that I did not get the chance to tell you. I guess Mike did need to steal the thunder once. Stinker!