Monday, December 3, 2007

A Big Thank You


Wow! What an ego boost. I feel so loved and supported. Who knew that the best way to fish for compliments and validation is to be insulted by someone online?:) You guys are the best. I have had so many comments and emails from you that it's really touching. The next time I'm feeling down on myself, I'm just going to go back and read all your comments.
I realize that I haven't posted a recipe in a while, especially an original recipe instead of just linking you to my fave Cooking Light or Bon Appetit recipe. Here is one of my favorite good-for- you (mostly) comfort foods. It's a recipe that I came up with a few years ago when I was on a great weight loss jag (before having a couple more babies and gaining it all back again.) I like it because most vegetable lasagnes call for a cream sauce, but this one uses lighter marinara.
Even if the people at your house think they only like meat filled lasagnes, this is worth a try. My DH loves it and he is most definitely a carnivore.

Roasted Vegetable Lasagne
  • 1 medium eggplant, sliced
  • 2 medium zucchini, sliced
  • 2 medium yellow crook neck squash, sliced
  • 1-2 large red onion or sweet onion, sliced or diced
  • 1 cup crimini mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes
  • 1 T. fresh minced garlic
  • about 4 cups marinara sauce (I like Trader Joe's in the green can)
  • olive oil
  • kosher salt
  • 2 cups reduced fat ricotta cheese
  • 2-3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil, sliced in ribbons and/or fresh spinach
  • no boil lasagne or whole wheat lasagne (about 1/2 package)
Spray a large jelly roll pan with olive oil spray (or put down foil, then spray.) Place all of the vegetables and garlic on the pan. Drizzle with a few tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Toss to coat. Place in 400 degree oven for 30-40 minutes, until the vegetables are nicely browned.

In a small mixing bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan, egg, 1/2 cup of the mozzarella, and the basil or spinach. Mix well.

Layer the lasagne thusly: marinara, pasta, half of the vegtables, half of the cheese mixture. Repeat. On top, add another layer of pasta and marinara, then top with remaining mozzarella. Bake in 350 oven for about 40 minutes, until cheese browns. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with crusty bread or breadsticks and a green salad.
  • Note: If I were serving this at someone else's house, I'd put some crushed red pepper in as well. But, since I live here, I just add a sprinkle of it to my own serving.

2 comments:

Kathryn Thompson said...

I'm sorry people can be so unkind.

I'm also excited to try that recipe!

Michal said...

daring one,
so glad you stopped by! i hope you enjoy the lasagne as much as we do.