Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Calling All Slackers!

I don't know about you, but I am constantly struggling to make my life look the way I want it to. And I don't mean the decor. I'm talking about having the habits that are important to me, including scripture study, exercise, healthy food choices, keeping my temper, dusting my house, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. And one thing that I've learned about myself is that I am motivated by a few different things: accountability, vanity, and money, to name a few.

So, I've concocted a plan to help me get back into exercising daily. And I want you to join me. If you already have this habit down, you don't need to get on board (although you might join just to get the prize at the end); but if your exercise schedule could use a boost, please read further.

I am working on a google website for a healthy habits group. The first habit we are going to tackle, as I mentioned before, is exercise. If you sign up for this one, you are not obligated to stay on for future habits. Anyone can join by leaving me a comment here, and as soon as the website is published I will get you a link. Update: The website is up, even if it is a work in progress. Go here to see it. Here's the deal:

Beginning Monday, August 4th, we will track our exercise for 90 days. Sundays will be days of rest, but for all the other days we are aiming for at least 30 minutes of exercise. Each participant will earn points (up to 3 per day), 1 for every 30 minutes of exercise up to 90 minutes. If you miss a day, you owe $1 to the "Victory Pool," which will go to pay off the winners. So, if your goal is actually only 5 days a week of exercise, you can just plan on spending one dollar a week on this competition.

We will tally fines at the end of each month and submit them then. At the end of the 90 days, the person with the most points earned and the person with the fewest days missed will split the Victory Pool.

There is no charge to join our group, but if you drop out there will be a $25 fine, plus any money you owe from missing days. The point is to help as many of us as possible develop this healthy habit, so I'm making it harder to get out of it than it is to get into it.

So, who's with me? Wouldn't it be great to have this habit well developed before the holidays are upon us? We'll take new members up through Monday, August 11th, but they will still be accountable from August 4th.

Come on. Let's get stronger, leaner, more fit! Let's do it for ourselves and for our families.

12 comments:

Joyful Noise said...

I'm in!! I actually started yesterday, but Saturdays will be hard for me....but I won't be able to afford to miss any days...Whew, I am already tired.

Debbie

Unknown said...

I'm in too! This is exactly what I am looking for.

Ann

Macy said...

I'm in and have a headstart. :)

Prudy said...

Brilliant. Count me in.

Christine said...

uhh- uhh I just don't know if I am ready to commit.... I'll get back to you.

Life At MandyLand said...

I still thinking of a million reasons why I can't do this I will get back to you soon

Anonymous said...

yes, yes, yes!! and please hold me to it.

MyrnaMom

Mary said...

**SIGH** Okay, I'll do it!! Please add me!! Ekkk!!

Anonymous said...

Should I give you the $25 now and just say I tried?. Can I use my Knee operation as an excuse? Good luck to all you wonderful people. Best of luck. If Myrna Mom really keeps on track I will give her a spacial surprise.

Love,
Papa

Anonymous said...

spacial? (you know large}
Of-coarse I meant special.

Love,(SILLY)
Papa

Life At MandyLand said...

Ok sign me up ... Whats the worst thing that could happen I loss 25$ ... And on the up side I could loss weight....

Anonymous said...

I'm in! I hope good eating habits are next.

Myrissa