Saturday, February 9, 2008

Accepting the Challenge

About a week ago, I got an email from a friend. In response to the passing of our beloved prophet, President Gordon B. Hinckley, someone came up with an idea of a fitting way to pay tribute to him. President Hinckley was so dynamic, energetic, and served for so long, and he was known for many things during his presidency, including more than doubling the number of temples on the earth, establishing the Perpetual Education Fund for poor members in other countries, and challenging the entire Church to read the Book of Mormon together, cover to cover, in the latter half of 2005. Anyway, this person has organized what they are calling "the Hinckley Challenge," during which participants read the Book of Mormon from beginning to end in 97 days (as Pres. Hinckley was 97 years old.) So far, over 28,000 people have signed up to read. At the bottom of my blog, you can track my progress on my reading chart (this will help keep me accountable.)
I have read the Book of Mormon more times than I can count and am constantly striving to study from its pages. It has brought a sense of purpose, peace, and understanding into my life since I was very young and began to study it. Sometimes as a mother, scripture study falls to the bottom of my list rather than being near the top, where it belongs--so this challenge will help me keep my study habits strong. If I can keep it up for 97 days, I will have reestablished the habit of reading from its pages daily.
If you go to this site, you can input any scripture study plan you like, from any of the standard works of the Church, lesson manuals, Church magazines, etc. They will help you devise a plan for accomplishing your study goal and will email you each day with the actual text that you need to read to reach your goal on time! It's a great tool. Even though I prefer to read my scriptures so that I can mark them, getting the email reminds me that I need to read.
President Hinckley gave this promise about the Book of Mormon: "Without reservation I promise you that if each of you will observe this simple program, regardless of how many times you previously may have read the Book of Mormon, there will come into your lives and into your homes an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord, a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to His commandments, and a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God. "
I have a testimony that his words are true and that regular study of the Book of Mormon brings peace and joy into my life. Won't you join me?

4 comments:

Macy said...

I'm doing this too. I've been excited about it.

Rebecca said...

The first I've heard of this challenge. We started in January reading a chapter a day with our kids. I think it will take longer than 97 days for us to finish, but it's in the same spirit. Go, read, go!

mindyluwho said...

I once read the Book of Mormon 3 times in 90 days (actually it was more like 120 days, but the challenge was 90). It was an amazing experience. I love the Book of Mormon!

By the way, I don't see your email anywhere on your site, but my email address is on my profile, so when you get a chance email me!

Rebecca Blevins said...

I think I'll do this too. Thanks for telling us about it!