Monday, February 28, 2011

Please Don't Hate Me!

It looks like this girl is going to potty train herself.
 Over the past few weeks I have found her several times like this, fully clothed, trying to go potty. When I finally relented and let her take off her clothes and once or twice she has actually peed! Still, I have told her, "I'm not potty training you until you can speak."

Little Meggie (20 months) has few words, but boy, does she know what's going on! She does not enjoy being left out of anything her older sibs are doing, and this is no exception.

This morning, after I got her dressed and put her piggies in, she had a melt down because I wouldn't open the door to my bathroom. I finally did so, and she climbed right up on the potty. I thought to myself, "There is no way I am going to take off her clothes. We just got dressed. She's just playing potty." Alas, she accidentally slipped backwards into the water, soaking her outfit. I stripped her down and sat her back on the toilet and went to get her some clean clothes. Guess what? She tinkled.


"I do not have time for this today," I thought. My tried-and-true method of potty training requires 3 days of going practically nowhere and doing practically nothing but taking a child to the bathroom and washing panties. And I can not clear my schedule this week (and perhaps not for months) to do this. But, given her willingness, I figured I'd be crazy to stifle it. I remembered that we had some princess pull-ups. I have a hard and fast rule of no pull-ups during potty training, but I do use them for bed wetters, and had some left over from Bronwen's bed wetting days. I have learned, however, with five kids, that hard-and-fast rules are made to be broken, so today Meggie is wearing princess pull-ups. Whenever I remember (which has been about every two hours) I take her in to go to the bathroom. She has kept them dry and gone ever time we tried to go. I can't believe it.

In other getting-too-big-for-her-mommmy's-liking news, Margaret also learned to crawl out of her crib this weekend. That, my friends, is always a very dark day. :)

Little Meg is bound and determined to grow up as soon as possible; alas, I am willing her to stay my baby forever. And I know which of us will win this particular struggle. Sigh.

10 comments:

Mary said...

Amazing!! Go with girl!! When it's that easy who cares when they do it!! 20 months or 3 years old...do it when it's easy!! Awesomeness!!

Melissa Fitzsimmons said...

She is so smart!! Sometimes things happen faster then us moms want but listen to her and I think it will go smoothly.

Kristen said...

Okay, I might hate you just a little... but only because you are so gosh darn lucky to have a child like that! But I guess it's deserved being your fifth... I'm having a hard time with my first!

Stephanie said...

wow. You may have a natural born professional potty-goer. :) I hope it plays out that way because how awesome would that be?

Julie@My5monkeys said...

thats so great when they want to go potty on their own. Happy dance

Myrna Snider Thomas said...

Our little Meg is one of a kind for sure! This should prove to be a very entertaining week.

Prudy said...

Oh, Michal-she's just so cute! I'm feeling it over here, too. They grow up way too fast, but that little girl is taking the shortcut to big-girlhood. Keep us posted on her progress.

angelj44 said...

Way to go Meg! I think Adalyn is about ready to start potty trainig too, but I'm trying to hold out till after we go to Utah for my brother wedding.

nickandstaci said...

YAY! How exciting!! Max took to potty training just like that too! He was a piece of cake to train! She is a natural and super, super cute! Yippee!

A mother heart said...

Nice! I want to pinch those squishy cheeks. She's so cute!