Here are a few recent quotes from our little paradox that had us cracking up.
The scene: Bronwen is dressed like a prim little girl, wearing a pink sweater with ballet shoes on the front, a hot pink skort, tights and t-strap shoes with a big bow in her hair. She runs into the house from the backyard, where she's been playing with "her kids" (the brothers).
Me: (observing that she is determined to do SOMETHING based on her demeanor,) What are you doing, Bronwen?
Bronwen: (seriously) I NEED to find a gun, Mama!
After a few moments of tearing apart the toy closet, she emerges with a clone trooper laser gun and a big grin on her face. She runs out to join the fray in the backyard and I am left shaking my head at my little girl.
- 1:30 pm Daddy puts Bronwen down for a nap with hugs and kisses all around.
- 2:00 pm Mama enters Bronwen's room to check out the "carey bug" that Bronwen insists is lurking in the corners, preventing her sleep.
- 2:15 pm Pathetic sobbing begins from Bronwen's room--something about how she didn't kiss and hug every single member of the family befor her nap. (You know, just in case she didn't survive the experience and it was her last earthly chance to see them.)
- 2:30 pm Pathetic sobbing ends. Bronwen begins singing all her favorite songs at the top of her lungs: "Tomorrow", "The Family is of God", the theme song from Penguins of Madagascar (there are no words to this song, but that doesn't stop her), and "I Like to Move it, Move it" (also from PoM).
- 3:15 pm Singing ends. Bronwen begins kicking her door methodically while calling for "her boys" to get her up.
- 3:30 pm Her frustrated mother decides to let her up from her nap and opens the door.
Me: (wryly) Good morning, sweetie!
Bronwen: (sweetly and animatedly) That was a great nap, Mama. Thank you for putting me to a nap. It was a great nap!
Just whom is she trying to kid? I know perfectly well that she didn't sleep a wink, nor did she like most of it.
What paradoxes have you seen in your toddler?