Monday, April 21, 2008

No Slacking!

If you read my other blog, you already know that on Friday I was feeling burned out, tired, and moody. Thankfully, I was able to spend much of the weekend rejuvenating my spirit (plus I figured out that some of the aforementioned emotional state was probably PMS.) Friday evening, Myrna Mom (my MIL) let us go on a spur-of-the-moment temple date. (LDS temples are not used for Sunday worship. They are a special place where we make covenants and have the privelige of helping our ancestors receive the blessings of the gospel. Read more about it here.)

It was so nice to go and I really felt my spirits lift as we drove up onto Temple Hill. The sun was just setting and it felt like we were entering a magical world. We spotted three does grazing and a flock of wild turkeys and geese. Jared & I walked for few minutes under the oaks with my camera, trying to catch a good shot of the turkeys, before we went into the temple. No luck on the turkeys, but I did get a shot of the temple with the gorgeous oak out front. I am so infatuated with oak trees. Each one has so much character and is so beautiful and majestic.

As always, I left the temple feeling renewed and with my perspective back in place. Then, Saturday night we had the opportunity to attend a meeting at Church just for the adult members who live in our city (called stake conference if you want to know the lingo.) The talks all focused on strengthening families, building up a righteous posterity, etc. Again, I was uplifted, inspired, and we came home with things to talk about regarding ways that we want to improve in our family.

One quote really stuck out to me, especially because of the burnout that I'd been struggling with. It's from the Doctrine & Covenants, which are scripture revealed to Joseph Smith, Jr. I've read it and heard it many times before, but this was the first time that it occurred to me that the scripture applies to motherhood.
Wherefore, be not weary in well doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great. (D&C 64:33)
I cannot allow myself to get burned out on doing the things that are most important in my life and to my family. Naturally, we all get tired sometimes, and it was okay for me to take the kids to the park instead of get in one more math lesson last week. But when it comes to the most important things, including: daily scripture study, personal & family prayer, Family Home Evening, temple attendance, serving where needed, showing love to my husband and children; in these things, I cannot afford to get burned out. They are the things that not only rejuvenate me, but are also "laying the foundation of a great work"--my family. What we do as parents today, tomorrow, and every day of our children's youth will have an immense impact on the people that they become. As a mother, and in teaching my children who they are and why they are here, I am doing the Lord's work. And he hasn't given me permission to slack off. What he has offered is lots of help to do His work.

I feel so blessed to have the kind of counsel and wisdom available to me through the scriptures and the words of God's servants on the earth. Heavenly Father knew what I needed to hear this weekend and touched my heart so that I would hear it.

6 comments:

VW Family said...

Michal,
I was just thinking about you this weekend in relation to the talks at conference and how I have been so impressed with all you do with your family. Those are the things that matter most and you will not regret them. I think you're doing much better than you think you are--you're a great example to me!
Heidi

Rebecca Blevins said...

This is a beautiful post, and I feel like we have a lot in common. What a wonderful time at the temple with your husband, it sounded so beautiful. I too love oak trees! They've always stood out to me. I'm not sure why that is, but it is. In our front yard is an oak that I love, and we loved watching the squirrels playing on it last summer.


I love your thoughts on spiritual matters. I think the only way not to get burned out is to fill ourselves up spiritually, just like you talked about. I had a rough few days, really stressed out and then Sunday night the bishop calls to ask me to speak this Sunday. What on? Why we should desire blessings. Interesting.

An Ordinary Mom said...

Very well put!

Right now for my scripture study I am reading "Preach My Gospel" with the theme in mind, my current mission is motherhood. It is amazing the insights I am gaining!

Ice Cream said...

Going to the temple is seriously better than any other date or getaway. I always come away feeling peaceful, rejuvinated, and able to keep going. It is nice to be surrounded by the eternal viewpoint, rather than the world's instant gratification viewpoint.

Lynell said...

Thank you for such a great reminder. I feel so lucky to live near a temple. But sometimes I take that fact for granted. I know it is where I need to be, but I don't make enough of an effort to get there. I think I will ask my husband on a date this weekend. Dinner and the Temple. Doesn't get better than that!!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

How lovely to get that kind of lift, and unexpectedly too!