Monday, March 10, 2008

Quick Recipe

We are back in town now. I had a very busy day, but a good homeschooling day, which feels like a big accomplishment when I was also trying to do laundry, get some food in the house (we all shared one orange this morning with our toast at breakfast--pathetic!), and get Kimball to his RDI therapy this afternoon. Anyway, I haven't had much time for blogging, but I thought I'd post a recipe that I tried out with my saffron. It was sooo good. Neves also sent me a recipe for saffron ice cream, which was her favorite way to have the exotic spice while in Morocco. I'll try that one out one of these days and get back to you all with it.
This recipe comes from a Weight Watchers cookbook, Ultimate Flex & Core.

Tandoori Chicken Thighs
serves 4

  • 1/2 c. plain fat free yogurt
  • 1 T. paprika
  • 1 T. minced ginger (fresh)
  • 1 minced garlic clove
  • 1 tsp. curry powder
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. saffron threads
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
This one is easy, folks! Combine the yogurt, paprika, ginger, garlic, curry powder, cinnamon, and saffron in a large ziploc bag. Add the chicken and refrigerate all day or over night if possible.
Preheat oven to 450. Place chicken on roasting rack over baking sheet. (Spray the roasting rack with spray and put a piece of foil down under it if you don't love scrubbing burned baking sheets!) Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Roast the chicken until cooked through, about 25 minutes.

I served this with couscous (which I make with chicken broth, sauteed onion, and 1 tsp. olive oil), stir fried zucchini, and fresh fruit. Oh, and some tandoori bread that I got at Trader Joe's. It was very good, but I somehow forgot to check the nutritional info before purchasing. I had to rip it in half to keep it to 2 points per piece of bread. The chicken is 4 points (depending on how big the thighs are, I suppose.)

It tasted heavenly. Sorry that I don't have a photo to share. Just trust me on this one. Go make it!

No comments: